Utah Summer Adventures That Are Budget-Friendly
5/25/23 | Lindsie Wharff, Marketing Specialist
Utah is a beautiful place to live! With its stunning landscapes, national parks, and trails, it's hard to stay indoors, especially during summer. Exploring this gorgeous state doesn't have to break the bank. Planning, resourcefulness, and smart budgeting can help you experience the beauty of Utah while keeping your finances in check. Here are some tips and tricks for enjoying Utah's outdoor playground this summer without emptying your wallet.
Step One: Research
Utah has a plethora of natural wonders, from the arches of Arches National Park to the iconic hoodoos of Bryce Canyon National Park. The first step in experiencing Utah's outdoor scenery on a budget is to research the various parks, trails, and attractions available. When researching, make sure you:
- Check-Out Official Park Websites
- Official Park websites will have details on fees, passes, discounts, trail maps, camping, events, and programs.
- Connect with Local Travel Communities
- Utah has a great network of outdoor forums for insights and tips. You can hear about budget-friendly adventures, cost-saving strategies, and hidden gems from fellow enthusiasts.
- Explore Local Tourism Websites
- Learn about attractions, trails, and free events. Check out websites like Go-Utah. They could add some unique experiences while you consider your budget.
- Follow Social Media Accounts
- Follow Utah park and outdoor accounts to discover offers, discounts, and insights. You can also follow accounts like Altabank's Instagram for budgeting tips.
- Look for Coupon Books or Travel Guides
Step Two: Cut Costs
When embarking on an outdoor adventure, gear, snacks, meals, and transportation costs can add up. Try implementing these budgeting techniques this summer.
- Look for sales and discounts at outdoor gear retailers.
- Rent local for affordable gear and support your community.
- Explore online shops for cost-saving opportunities, used gear, and promotions.
Snacks and Meals
- Pack snacks from home and save by avoiding pricey convenience stores or restaurants.
- Invest in durable, reusable water bottles to avoid purchasing plastic bottled water.
- Carpool with your friends and family. Sharing gas can bring you and your companions together while reducing expenses.
- Check out local public transportation options. Buses, trains, and shuttles are cost-effective alternatives.
Step Three: Explore Free Attractions and Activities
Exploring free activities in Utah allows you to immerse yourself in the state's natural and cultural beauty and provides significant financial benefits. By participating in free events and activities, you can stretch your budget further and make the most of your Utah experience without spending a fortune.
- Scenic hiking trails, like Angel's Landing, Delicate Arch, and Timpanogos Cave Trail, offer diverse landscapes and stunning views for outdoor enthusiasts of all skill levels.
- Visitor centers, like the ones found at Zion Canyon, Capitol Reef, and the Natural History Museum, offer free admission and expert guidance on attractions, history, and outdoor activities.
- Cultural and historic sites, such as Temple Square, Utah State Capitol, and Great Salt Lake State Park offer free admission to explore the state's rich heritage.
- Utah hosts free festivals showcasing local arts, music, and food, offering a glimpse into the vibrant culture. Examples include the Utah Arts Festival, Salt Lake City Jazz Festival, and the Utah State Fair.
- Scenic drives, like Alpine Loop and Mirror Lake Scenic Byway, offer free exploration of diverse landscapes. Take a road trip, enjoy panoramic views, and experience Utah's natural beauty at your own pace.
Utah is undeniably a beautiful place to live, especially for those who appreciate stunning landscapes and outdoor adventures. With its abundant national parks, trails, and attractions, the state offers a playground for nature enthusiasts and explorers. The good news is that experiencing the beauty of Utah doesn't have to be a financial burden. You can enjoy Utah's outdoor wonders by following simple tips and tricks while keeping your wallet intact.
Lindsie Wharff is a Marketing Specialist at Altabank. She specializes in social media and marketing content and enjoys helping people learn more about their finances.